Morality in Media

I just found this great article about speaking out when you find something offensive in media. The article is written by the president of Morality in Media (MIM) and gives you resourses the help you make complaints. He also talks about how community standards are depicted in the complaints of its citizens. So if we find something morally objectionable in our community, our media, let's take a little time to complain.
A month ago, I wrote an email to the local theater company to let them know I was dissappointed with one of their recent shows, "Love, Sex, and the IRS." One of their upcoming shows is "Nunsense II," and I am trying to write a good complaint for it. Unfortunately they did "Nunsense I" in a previous season and invited the priest and supposedly the he and much of the Catholic community enjoyed it. Though I haven't seen any of the Nunsense shows, I read a bit about them and they don't put religious life in a good light. They basically make fun of it, which makes fun of the Church, which makes fun a Christ himself. The director of the theater company doesn't see it as harmful. He wrote to me,

""Nunsense 2" is coming up in October. It is strictly for laughs, too - no big themes or meaningful content. However, some find anything that has a little fun with people's religious beliefs to be off limits for humor. While I'm devoted to my faith as a Christian, I do not share that view.
As I said, I'm a religious person, and I've found serious conflict with other Christians about where the line is you shouldn't cross. Some are in my view much too restrictive to the point of being unreasonable. On the other hand, I am not one that pushes the envelope just to do so or to make people uncomfortable. What I put on stage has to have a point! It's my hope to agree most often with the standards of most of the people we try to serve in this community."


Sounds like a politician, right? Well, he's our mayor. Oh, and note that "Nunsense II" replaced "The Last of the Red Hot Lovers," about a married man who wants to have an affair. Someone else complained.
He did ask me if I had any suggestions for shows and I've tried to find one that shows the beauty of the Catholic faith/religious life. Any suggestions?
Shows that are just good family values that I thought of are "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Cheaper by the Dozen."
Off I go to think about my complaint some more.

Comments

Matt and Mary said…
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream coat is a great one.
Mary Stengel
mohundro mom said…
Sound of Music... the play is a bit different from the movie. And it's always on the great of great lists. (I guess not exactly "religious life" but it is a good Catholic family.)