Solanus' Birthday Story

Well, I actually have to go back to the day before...or I could go back nine months before...mmm, ok just the month before to keep it shorter.

(Note: Daniel and I and our kiddos have been living in Texas with my parents since the end of December. A year and a half ago Maria Victoria was born in the same small apartment we inhabit now as we wait to find a home of our own. It is the second story of an addition my parents built on to the house I grew up it. On the first floor, my maternal grandmother lives. A few years ago my grandfather died there peacefully surrounded by family. There is something sacred about a space in which a person has died and a person has been born.)

Though we thought baby was due closer to the 23rd of February from an ultrasound we had while in Honduras in October, I should have known to add a week or two to that date...next time. Maybe then I wouldn't have been so impatient. Once Lent came, most days I looked at "still" being pregnant as my Lenten cross. I felt like I was carrying my cross in my belly...one that turned out to be 9 lbs 12 oz. Now I look back and reflect that being pregnant for what felt like ages wasn't so bad and I will gladly (and hopefully more patiently) carry more little souls for Him.

On Sunday, the 8th, Daniel and I went to see the midwife. She reassured me that nothing was wrong with me and that I would eventually go into labor. She also checked and found that I was at least a cm or two dilated. She gave us an herb that helps produce hormones to bring on labor, acupuncture points to try and other ways to naturally help start labor.

But we didn't need them because the next morning (the day Daniel was originally supposed to start his new job, but was then moved to Tuesday on account of the office not being ready...and then moved to the next Monday on account of Solanus being born) I woke up with contractions! Yeah! Finally! I was quite excited because I knew that the day had arrived. I called the midwife at 10:30am to let her know I was having contractions but that they were not yet regular. I called her again at 11:30 to let her know that they were getting more regular and stronger. I didn't sit down from then on because I wanted to get the baby out and I knew that sitting could possibly slow progression. So I just walked around our little apartment and wrote down the time of each contraction and talked to Daniel. My mom had Spring Break that week so she was able to keep an eye on them (God knew when to send the baby...both my mom and Daniel off work.). Me laboring.

The midwife arrived around 1:30. She comes in from an hour away and she was waiting for another midwife to join her. She set up her stuff and got everything ready. The other midwife was on her way. The three of us talked about this and that. She got out the quilting she was working on. I took to squatting during the contractions because that made them feel more effective in opening up and getting the baby to move down...and it felt better.

The midwife went downstairs to bring the other midwife up. Though I had never met her (which can have a negative effect on labor if the mother is not comfortable with someone's presence), she just slipped right in quietly and quickly...a good thing because I was ready to try pushing. I asked the midwife if I was dilated fully. She said I had a tiny bit to go but to try pushing on the next contraction if I felt like it. She said I would know if it was time or not once I tried. Well that push wasn't that strong, but the midwives told me that I was bringing baby down. The next contration I gave a good strong push which broke the water bag and brought the baby out...it was like a few pushes all connected by some quick breaths. The midwife logged that I started pushing at 2:58pm, crowned at 2:59pm, and baby born at 3:00pm.

Solanus was put on my tummy where he laid and cried a bit. About ten minutes later, he started nursing quite happily. Daniel went to get the kids to introduce them to their new brother.
We got to just hang out with baby the rest of the day. My mom made birth-day brownies for Solanus which we ate after singing "Happy Birthday."
My brother Fr. Brian came from his parish in Temple late that night and the next day at just over 24 hours old, Solanus (and family) attended Mass celebrated by Fr. Brian at my grandmother's cabin a few hundred yards away from our house. Deo Gratias.

I had the whole week to take plenty of long naps and refrain from housekeeping and cooking, letting Daniel and my mom take care of those, which they did generously. :)

Thank you to all of you who commented on the blog, who prayed for us, and who had been awaiting the birthday of Solanus almost as much as we have.

Comments

KBratten said…
You make it sound like a piece of cake! You look so calm and relaxed in all these pictures... congratulations!

KB
Sarah said…
Congratulations!!! What a beautiful story! Praise God! We're praying for you all.
Tiffany said…
You make it look way too easy. And look great during and right after his birth. I looked like I had been run over by a truck for a week after having Brylie. And I hope I can pop out our next one as easy as you made it sound like you did with Solanus. Hope to run into ya'll sometime soon and meet him!
Kristen said…
Beautiful! I love your happy glow in the photos. :-)
veronica said…
What an awesome birth story and I love the family pic...your children have pure joy shining in their eyes as they gaze upon their new brother..beautiful!!
Mrs. Juicebox said…
Yay! God bless the new Solanus and family:) Though I am late in checking the blog, we were praying for a safe and easy delivery nonetheless!! Your use of a midwife gives me even more confidence in my own thoughts that that might be a good idea, someday, when my time comes. So happy for you all!
Laura said…
MIchelle that sounds so wonderful!
I hope you will be around at the end of May when my father (Paul) and I come to visit! I can't wait to see and meet all your precious ones!
Love, Laura
TexasNovels said…
I taught prenatal classes for twelve years. We need more birth stories like yours! Expectant mothers so often hear the dark stories instead of the beautiful ones! You could make a pamphlet of your story, add a few nice pictures and I suspect that many prenatal clinics and childbirth teachers would love to use it as a handout! Think about it. It would be a fun project!