Blogging, wedding, Daniel, and genocide

Ah, yes, blogging... to blog or not to blog...
Now that we've moved back to Texas and are living around our families, I have to evaluate the value of my blogging. I know there are others outside our families who read this blog and may actually enjoy it. But should I use that time that I would to blog on other things more directly interacting with my own family and then extended family and friends?...like making those fun shaped sugar cookies that Juan Pablo has been begging me to do, calling or visiting family, friends, and the lonely neighbors, and writing real pen and paper letters to people? Though I am still thinking about it, I have decided that I will at least blog to let you know when Solanus is born and post a picture or two. Good ol' fashioned birth announcements mailed by the US Postal Service are fun but we now know lots of people out of the USA who would like to know sooner than later about his birth and other such things. Plus, this is cheaper, not that I mind supporting the USPS. But we are currently jobless and "homeless."
By the way, did I mention that Daniel is back in Texas? He came back on February 3rd. Everyone survived the 3 week separation, but we have vowed to not let it happen again...well without "grave" reason. :) Daniel had it much harder than us as he went from being in the heart of a family with three little children who enjoy wrestling, tickling wars, and the like to living alone with the only physical touch being an occasional hand shake. Though he had no distractions from our children and me, it was, in fact, more distracting not being with us. So he brought some work back with him and will be keeping in touch with Fr. John Anthony and the friars.
I was kept busy here with helping my sister with wedding preparations. Melanie and Kevin were married last Saturday and are enjoying their honeymoon south of the border. The wedding and reception were beautiful and lots of fun. I think I probably overdid myself a little in the prep and such as my 9 month pregnant self were ready to leave the party by 9:30pm. I figured the bride and groom wouldn't mind if we left before them....having the matron of honor go into labor at the reception hall would have taken attention away from their celebration. Though that would have been quite the newspaper write-up. :)
Daniel returned to Texas just in time for prep and set-up for the wedding to hit full swing, leaving little time for job hunt. This week he has been able to finish up his resume and investigate job options.
Baby Solanus is hanging out in the womb and I don't really expect him for another week or two. I'm feeling pretty good now that I've rested sufficiently. I started reading "Left to Tell" written by a 1994 Rwanda genocide survivor...crazy! This happened in 1994 while I was in High School. Why is it that we never heard anything about it? I mean, at least 500,000 people were brutally murdered in 100 days! I don't remember hearing about it, much less praying for the tiny country in the middle of Africa. I hope that it wasn't my own lack of compassion that allowed me to hear about it and then dismiss it from my mind without so much as a prayer for the souls of the innocent victims of all ages. Reading this and watching the movie "Amazing Grace" about the ending of slave trade in Great Britian, has led me to more ferverent prayer for an end to our own genocide of the time: abortion.

Comments

Blair said…
Glad you're still here! Praying for you guys and the job search and as you await the arrival of little Solanus (such a cool name after a cool priest!). I just read Left to Tell as well, and couldn't believe we didn't know.
Hi Michelle,

I think you should at least keep posting some pictures in the blog. I love to see the kids grow and keep in touch. Real letters are better but you would have to send pictures once in a while. I love you a lot!
Tiffany said…
Please don't stop blogging. It the only way I can keep up with you. And I love to see what you and the kids are up doing!