Mercy and Truth : Praise and Proclaim

You know how sometimes you are praying a written prayer and after it actually sinks in what you've just prayed, you think, "Yes, that's what I wanted to say right now. That is something my heart feels right now." Well, that is the best way to describe the following psalm-prayer from morning prayer of the Liturgy of the Hours as I read it this morning, so I thought I'd share.

Lord, send your mercy and your truth to rescue us from the snares of the devil, and we will praise you among the peoples and proclaim you to the nations, happy to be known as companions of your Son.

And for all those who haven't received any petition to pray and fast for the defeat of the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) or info on it, here's some now:

"If you are apposed to abortion then there is bad news on the horizon. For those of you who do not know, the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) is set to be signed if the US Congress passes it on January 21-22 of 2009. The FOCA is the next sick chapter in the book of abortion.
If made a law then all limitations on abortion will be lifted which will result in the following:
1) All hospitals, including Catholic hospitals will be required to perform abortions upon request. If this happens Bishops vow to close down all Catholic hospitals, more then 30% of all hospitals in the United States .
2) Partial birth abortions would be legal and have no limitations.
3) All U.S. tax payers would be funding abortions.
4) Parental notification will no longer be required.
5) The number of abortions will increase by a minimum of 100,000 annually.
Perhaps most importantly the government will now have control in the issue of abortion. This could result in a future amendment that would force women by law to have abortions in certain situations (rape, down syndrome babies, etc) and could even regulate how many children women are allowed to have. Needless to say this information is disturbing, but sadly true.
As Catholics, as Christians, as anyone who is against the needless killing of innocent children, we must stand as one. We must stop this horrific act before it becomes a law."

I think the paragraph after "5)" is the scariest. I know we'd be ready to immigrate if forced abortions become real here in this "Land of the Free."

Here's a novena (pray for nine days) prayer that we can start praying today:

Lord God, I thank you today for the gift of my life,
And for the lives of all my brothers and sisters.

I know there is nothing that destroys more life than abortion,
Yet I rejoice that you have conquered death.
I am ready to do my part in ending abortion.
Today I commit myself
Never to be silent,
Never to be passive,
Never to be forgetful of the unborn.

I commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement,
And never to stop defending life until all my brothers and sisters are protected,
And our nation once again becomes
A nation with liberty and justice, not just for some, but for all.

Amen.


Comments