Deer Meat

Today we processed deer meat at my aunt and uncle's. We call it "Sausage Making Day," but that's just part of it. We make a lot of just ground meat packs. This is family tradition; my parents have childhood memories of making sausage; I have memories of cutting up deer and making stringing sausages, checking on them in the "smoke house," and of course, many family dinners of yummy sausage. Next year, hopefully Daniel or I will actually have shot a deer to contribute to the day. This year was a little too much transitioning for that. I'm sorry Daniel missed this, but look forward to the years to come of preparing meat for our family for the whole year. Here is the day in photos:

Maria Victoria, Grace, and I all broke for the chili (made with venison) and tamale lunch early. Yummy.

Thankfully, their house has a nice loft area with toys to keep the rambuncious boys occupied and out of the processing area.


My dad at the grinder.

Cutting up venison and pork.


My brother mixing venison, pork, and seasonings.

A short clip of the sausage being made.

Comments

mohundro mom said…
Michelle, that's so fun! Can I be a part of your family? ;) haha But that really sounds like the coolest (and most practical) thing ever.
Tiffany said…
We made sausage this weekend as well. Brylie didn't think too much of it. When she woke up from her nap I took her into the smokehouse, where they were just finishing up stuffing the last of the sausage. She walked in made a funny face and said "sonthing stinks." Then started to gag! I think her opa was a little disappointed. But it didn't stop her from eating it last night!