Elimination Communication (EC) Update

For those of you who might be wondering how the no diapering with Maria Victoria is going, well, here it goes. Before we moved from Texas, I mostly carried her around with a cloth diaper under her and at night had her on a padding of a waterproof pad under a towel under a cloth diaper that I would switch out when she wet it. By the end of each day, I either had wet and yellow stains on my shirt and/or pants or had already changed into a new outfit. Although many “pees and poops” got by me, I did catch many and Maria Victoria responded to “the cue.” It wasn't until we moved to New York and I was talking to Emily who has done EC with two of her kids, that I realized why I was getting wet all the time. She told me you have to take them to the toilet, sink, or bowl every 10 minutes. Yes, 10 minutes. The baby may not need to pee that often, but you have to cue them that often to catch everything.
While driving to New York, I kept Maria Victoria in disposable diapers (I also did this whenever we had guests or where going anywhere while in Texas). Once we arrived it took me a few weeks to get settled and start using EC and cloth diapers. And I didn't get the tip on every 10 minutes until it had got cold and I hadn't figured out how to keep her warm yet able to easily cue her over the toilet. So that all led up to the system we have now. Basically she is in cloth diapers (prefolds with platic covers and I recently bought some used Kushies All-in-one off Craig's List). We still cue her throughout the day when changing her diaper and before and after bathtime, and she responds well. I am hoping that she will continue to respond to the cue so that when she is able to crawl and move a bit more she can “tell” me when she need to go. I bet if I taught her some sort of sign that she could do now at 5 months she could already be able to signal to me. I'm not doing this “by the book,” so if anyone is interested in doing EC, don't follow me. At this point it is more of an “experiment,” if you will, and just amazing to see her respond to a cue like she does...just one of the many wonders God has in store for us as parents.

Comments

Em said…
What?! You put her in disposables while you moved across the country? Unthinkable. What a slacker!:)

Sounds like you are doing great. I can't wait to see how you navigate the 9 month mark that I had so much trouble with... I'm probably going to end up calling you for tips. I like your approach, and I think I am going to adopt it for this next baby. So much more relaxed!
Oh, and I loved your last post, though I never commented. absolutely loved it.