Laundry

I am writing this post in hopes that my dryer will be soon fixed. It's been broken for two weeks now. Daniel knows what the problem is, but he needs to get a part for it. He's been so busy down at the Sisters' convent trying to get the new flooring in while they were gone on retreat and doing this around these 3 hour treatment appointments that he hasn't had much energy or time for doing extra stuff here at the house. But today he said he was just going to get the radiators back in place and the heat turned back on, wait around to make sure the radiators don't leak onto the nice new floors, run by St. Joseph Friary to return a saw, and then come home....to work on the dryer. Yeah!!! He was trying to tell me how to take it apart to get out the part that we need to replace, but I kindly reminded him that it took the two of us to take it apart before and therefore, I didn't think that I would be able to do it by myself. He said, "Oh, yes, that's right. Okay, we'll work on it when I get home this afternoon."
So that's the plan.
What have I been doing in the last two weeks without a dryer, you ask? Well, conveniently enough, if I wash the laundry here, put it in a basket, walk out the door, down the steps to the street, turn right and walk about 40 yards, open the door to the laundromat, I can put my clothes in one of those huge dryers and put in $0.75 or $1.00 and I come back in 30 or 40 minutes for nice dry clothes. :) So the alternative hasn't been too bad, but has only been possible when someone else is here at the house to watch the kids as I haven't figure out how to do that with three little children.
Nevertheless, I am looking forward to having a working, in-house dryer again. But then I will miss my little trips to the laundromat and all the nice people I met there. I felt like that was my first connection with the poor here in NYC...lots of young hispanic families who live in the apartment buildings nearby that have 50 floors and the sidewalk is their playground. Well, now I know where to go.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its great to hear how your family is doing. La Familia Hinkley is always in our prayers. God is good!

Give Daniel a big manly hug for me. :)