Three More Days 'til M-Day

On Monday we leave for NYC! I decided to write about it so that I would realize how much stuff I need to do in these next three days. We'll see if it works.
We head off early Monday morning and drive straight to Baton Rouge to stay with Alyson (was Missioner of Christ in Honduras) and her sister. That's an 8-hour drive day. Then Tuesday we have just a 3 hour drive to Madison, MS, to stay with Brittany (also Missioner) and her mom. The next day we drive 6.5 hours to Atlanta, GA, where we stay with Alan '72 Aggie and friend we met when he came on a mission trip to Honduras. And on Thursday the road takes us 8.5 hours to Richmond, VA. There we stay with Mario (another Missioner...one of the head guys) in his Catholic guys' house (they're making an exception for me and Maria Victoria). The last leg is 7 hours, I think. This is all subject to change depending on how the kiddos do. We shall see.
So packing to live in Honduras and packing to live in NYC are very different. Cold weather clothes takes up a lot more room than warm/hot weather clothes. Thankfully we are not limited to two suitcases a person weighing 50 lbs. or less. Black trashbags will suffice to stuff in the back to the Odessy. I think it might look a bit interesting when we roll up to the house in Harlem and start unloading 8 or so black trashbags. What's this family with three small kids up to? What are we up to???
Daniel works today and tomorrow and then that's the last of his paying job. We are so grateful that he was able to get such a temp. job for only 4.5 months and yet it will help provide for us this next year of mission work. God is good.
Things we're doing before leaving (that are not on your usual moving to-do-list:
*looking for just the right tree to buy and plant under which we'll bury the placenta of the baby.
*Daniel's out to find a new cowboy hat as the one he's had since May '02 finally bit the dust just before leaving Honduras. You know, he's gotta have a good work hat.
*writing our newsletter about the end of our Honduras mission...we just have to get it done before we start the next one.
Off I go...

Comments

Lillian said…
God's blessings on you as you start your journey and this new phase in your lives!

What an inspiration you are to me!!!

I know you said internet will be harder to have access to, but I still hope you can update us occasionally!!

Always keeping you in my prayers!!
Anonymous said…
Michelle, Daniel, Juan Pablo, Emmanuel, Maria Victoria:

Que super que van a estar en Nueva York pronto! Ahora podré aunque sea verles cuando yo vaya.

Me imagino el ajetreo con la mudanza, lo bueno esque hay muchas manos para ayudar ya en la familia no? :)

Los quiero mucho y les mando un abrazo!
-Maria Victoria
Em said…
What, not much internet??!!!! Please don't let this be the end of your blog!!!! Waaaaahhhh.....

So you are going to bury your placenta, eh? You know, Michelle, real women EAT theirs. (I'm not a real woman, either, and don't plan on adding placenta to the menu anytime soon). But just thought I'd let you know that you're a total sissy for burying yours.
I feel a wave of mornings sickness coming over me just thinking about the whole thing. Come to think of it, I am glad you are not a placenta-eater. Gross.
Hinckley said…
Ha! Emily, eating the placenta makes me nauseous and I'm not even pregnant!
The placenta is now buried under a nice pear tree here at my parents' house...buried along with my old retainer that had a mini blessed picture of the Sacred Heart in it. That tree has things going for it...holy ground, you might say. :)