Solemnity of the Sacred Heart



Today is one of my favorite feasts of the Church. I don't know exactly when I started to have this devotion, but it came about because I started drawing it all the time...like during class in the margins of my notebooks. Once I actually bought a canvas and some generic paints and painted it. I also used colored permanent markers to make it on my new lavender back pack sometime in college. The image of Jesus' Sacred Heart that I like the best is one my friend Grace Odle-Kemp, now Sr. Mary Rebekah with Dominican Sisters of Nashville, painted sometime during her time at TAMU. She gave it to me, well I might have begged a little, just before she entered the convent. I wish I had a picture of it to post, but I don't even have it right now. After I graduated, I gave it to the Catholic guys house next door and now one of them has it. I will have to get it back one of these days.


Daniel and I consecrated our wedding day and marriage to the Sacred Heart as well as our family. We don't do it really formally but just by trying to remember the Jesus' merciful heart both human and divine with which He loves us so much. On first Fridays we try to do something extra like a family Holy Hour (or as long as the kids can go) or a special fast. In the simplest, or "little" way, I try to offer my day to the Sacred Heart praying to be drawn closer to Him.




The following is a "song" of chant that I learned at a Eucharistic Congress in the Adoration Chapel. The song leader for my hour kept repeating it over and over and it had such a calming effect:


"O Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, truly present in the Holy Eucharist, I place all my trust in You."




From the preface of the Mass today:


"Lifted high on the Cross, Christ gave His life for us, so much did He love us. From His wounded side flowed blood and water, the fountain of sacramental life in the Church. To His open heart the Savior invites all men, to draw water in joy from the springs of salvation."

Comments

Kristen said…
Happy "Anniversary" :-)