Queen Janitor

I'm glad that I've always enjoyed cleaning. I'm not compulsive about cleanliness or germs, but I'd take a job cleaning house before sitting at a desk almost anyday. When we first arrived here in Comayagua, my lack of ability to speak Spanish and the ease with which everything became dirty in the house from the dirt streets outside and the incessant rains made for me the official house-cleaning job in the community household we lived in for a while. While some people might turn up their noses at the menial tasks of sweeping, mopping, dusting, and mopping some more, especially when coming all the way to Honduras as a missionary, I found much pleasure and satisfaction in the job. The fruits of my labor were also sweet to me as I love walking barefoot across the cool, smooth surface of a freshly cleaned tile floor.
Since the kids have come along, I have become skilled in a variety of chores I had not experienced before including wiping up poop and pee. As we potty train Juan Pablo, I do this often and am so grateful for no carpet whatsoever, excepting the doormat and the kitchen mat which I'm contemplating getting rid of even them. I suppose my lenient nature when it comes to what the kids play with and in makes more cleaning work for me. Their favorite is dirt. Just plain dusty dirt in which they dig, drive their trucks, and make piles as well as throw, spread, and cover themselves in. Juan Pablo could play in the dirt right at the bottom of the stair of our apartment for almost an entire morning. Only playing in the water fountain competes with that for entertainment, but if he plays there I have to be around to act as lifeguard.
As I sit here typing this, I think about how I don't really mind being a mommy janitor. Of course, the next time I have to wipe up juice spilled all over the table, chairs, and floor, I'll roll my eyes and give Juan Pablo a lecture on being careful and maybe even say something like, “If I have to clean up one more accident today, I'm quitting.”

Comments

Lillian said…
Hey, I like how that title sounds, "Queen Janitor." I think I'll borrow that job description! Thanks for that beautiful reflection.