Failed Coconut Cookout

The one coconut-containing item that I always let slip pass my brainwashed nutrition mentality is the Almond Joy candy bar. Yes, that creamy coconut filling with an almond on top covered with chocolate...I couldn't resist. Though I wouldn't go out and buy one, I wouldn't refuse one in my Trick-or-Treat bag or in someone else's candy dish.
Well, now that I feel there is really some benefit to eating coconut and since we have them growing fresh all around us, how about a homemade coconut candy bar? While researching coconut, I found a "recipe" that said you cut a coconut in half and put the halves meat-side down over an open flame. After roasting it for a bit, you dip the coconut meat in melted chocolate and tadaa! a smoked candy bar!
We've been having regular cookouts in our side yard using one whole concrete block and two half blocks and an old refridgerator wire shelf for the grill. The wood comes from scrap lumber from the construction site which we split with the machete. It makes for a nice little fire to roast some hot dogs and every once in a while a steak or two...not a T-bone, just a little thin piece of meat...sorry, I'm not too familiar with steak terminology. We had marshmallows for a while that we brought back from Texas (here in Comayagua they only sell these fruit flavored ones). Marshmallow roasts were a hit with the Missioners and Friars, so we went through them fast (Plus I used them as bribes for the boys a few time and then eventually used the last of them on a small batch of Rice Krispie Squares).
So this time we decided to use our one "big" coconut to roast. The thing is that you have to get it open. It has a thick outer husk inside of which is the brown hairy shell inside of which is the meat inside of which is the milk. After picking it, I first brought it inside and tried to whack it with our largest knife but didn't get very far. Then Daniel took it outside and put it on the ground and whacked it with the machete. He got some big chunks out of it but didn't get to the center. Later I rolled up my sleeves and took one powerful swing which produced an opening into the center. All the watery milk ran out onto the ground. We quickly noticed that though this was the biggest coconut on our tree, it was not yet ready. There was no meat to it at all...none to roast. Oh well. Next time we'll just buy one a the open market.

That's the coconut all cut up...and our all purpose machete.


Daniel has that white thing over his eye because he got stitches the day before. More about that in the next post.

Comments