Coconuts! Coconuts! Coconuts!

The house we live in has a little "backyard" that contains a little flowerbed/planter. When Daniel lived in the house back in 2002 before we were married or even engaged, a lady gave the friars 2 small palm trees. One they planted in the friary and one in this little house's 2x12 feet planter.

Until this year, we did not know that it was not just a palm tree but a coconut palm. Now being a Nutritional Science major, I was not too excited about the fact that we have many little coconuts growing right outside. When I was in school, I have vivid memories of being told to NEVER eat coconut because of its high levels of saturated fat. This affected me so much that it was hard to eat yummy German Chocolate Cake because of the coconut icing. Being a Nutrition Major brainwashes you that way...you know things taste really good but just don't like them because you know they are full of fat or calories. Being married has undone much of the brainwashing...Daniel now gives me nutritional tips at times. :)

As the coconuts have grown and I've watched the tree put out buds and flower, attract bees, drop baby coconuts, and put out more buds, I have become more intrigued with the coconut. At first I began to think that it would be fun to crack open and taste our first full-grown coconut but only a small taste. Then I started researching coconuts on the internet because the tree is really cool and I started thinking about how if there are so many coconut trees all over Honduras and all tropical regions, they have to have something good about them. Maybe they shouldn't be eaten, but I'm sure there are better uses than just coconut bras for hula dancers.

Well, you wouldn't believe it...or at least I didn't at first...but many nutritionists have changed their minds about coconuts. Yes, they are still high in saturated fat, but apparently the fatty acid chains are medium chains, not long chains like most all other fats are. Because of this little difference, they don't affect cholesterol levels as the same amount of long chain fatty acids would. Coconut oil has a long history of being a medicinal miracle and is coming back with a similar claim to fame. But it seems the past belief of its bad effects is hard to erase and not all are buying it. I'm not planning on becoming a coconut advocate or buying gallons of Virgin Coconut Oil, but I will be more open to eating it, enjoying it, and even cooking with the oil if I happen to find any or I figure out how to get it out of our coconuts. If you do want to read more about Coconut's health benefits, find it here.

The following are photos of how the coconut grows.





Comments

Anonymous said…
So, when we get there in December can we have some German Chocolate cake with Coconut icing?
Anonymous said…
Well, Michelle. It sounds like you should go into the coconut business when you get back to Tejas. Just bring the tree with you. No really- you should save one for December so we can crack it open and eat it! Kevin might come if you make him a coconut bra. :) love melanie
Anonymous said…
I love it---unexpected suprises.
Plants are so great like that--your backyard looks great too. Those plants look so healthy and large--I'm sure they are enjoying the tropical weather. So your family is going to Honduras in December--will all of them be there or just some? sounds like fun regardlesss--best of luck with cracking open the coconut--laura